The Haunted Dolls' House and Other Ghost Stories
This collection of three ghost stories, by master of the genre M. R. James, first appeared in "A Warning to the Curious" published in 1925. James wrote "The Haunted Dolls' House" in 1923 on a commission from Queen Mary who wanted miniature books from the most popular writers of the day to include in the library of her doll's house at Windsor Castle. Antique dealer Mr. Chittenden has an exquisite example of a doll's house in his shop. After a little haggling he manages to offload it onto one of his regular customers, a collector called Mr. Dillet. It becomes abundantly clear that Chittenden and his wife are all too glad to see the back of it, as whosoever owns the dolls' house is subject to supernatural visions every morning at one o'clock. Also included in this collection are "An Evening's Entertainment" and "A Neighbour's Landmark".